Im A "PRO" At...

Bathing my daughter... Allegedly!

(This is an article I recently wrote for a new website.)

Hi, I'm Mark and I blog over at Thoughts Of A First Time Dad.

I was recently asked to write an article for They Call Me Dad's new website on something I think I'm a "Pro" at in regards to being a parent.

When my wife Caroline was pregnant with our daughter Mara, I attended a Dads2B class for four weeks in my local area. Myself and a dozen or so other expectant fathers learned the ins and outs of labour (no pun intended) and changing, bathing and feeding techniques in order to give our children the best possible care and attention after their arrival.
Some of the guys had previously had kids and were there, some under duress, to brush up on their dadding skills. Other, like myself, were there as complete novices.
We practiced on dolls. I felt like a total clown, I'm not going to lie, but it stood me in good stead.
Not long after the course was finished Mara came rocketing in to our lives 8 weeks early and caught us a bit off guard. Long story short, after 5 weeks in the Special Care Baby Unit I was finally allowed to bathe her for the first time with Caroline by my side under the supervision of the nurses before we got to bring her home from the hospital.
All wrapped up in a towel, washing her face and head then supporting her in the water while washing the rest of her I knew this was going to be my time to shine.

A year later and I'm still the only one who gets to bath her. Apart from the occasional "poonami" while I've been at work and there has had to be some emergency washes from Caroline!

Mara is a natural water baby, she loves to splash around and more than once I have likened bath time to a visit to Sea World after being soaked through by baby sized tidal wave.

I wouldn't change it though, and I admit I'll be upset when she's to big for me to bathe like this anymore, bath time gives me something to look forward to after a hard day at work! Plus there are all of the fun toys for me... I mean, for Mara to play with!

(Ignore the fact that she's in a vest, it was a dry run to see if she would like the inflatable duck bath!)

Comments