2. Baby finger nails are worse than blades. She's caught her face a couple of times over the past few days and looked like she was auditioning for an Edward Scissorhands remake. Then she started on my arm...
3. How to resuscitate a doll.
Obviously in case anything should ever happen, but you can't help but feel like a bit of a tit trying to resuscitate a doll in front of your wife and under the tutelage of a midwife!
4. Don't drop the filter for the breast pump on the floor at 04.00am in the morning or your wife will give you the "I'm not angry, I'm just disapponted" look that makes you want to cry.
5. The sleep delirium is starting to set in with Caroline. She was driving home from the hospital late the other night and slowed down to a crawl to let a squirrel on the road cross over unharmed. Turns out it was a paper bag!
6. We're going to be playing catch up with Mara for the rest of our lives as she seems quite content on doing things at her own pace, which appears to be three steps ahead of everyone else. Within the past week she's been taken off her monitors, taken out of her incubator and into a heated cot and then taken out of the heated cot into a normal one a day later!
7. When Mara is breast feeding it sounds like she's going hell for leather on an empty Capri-Sun juice box! *slurp*
8. Caroline has been told by Liz, the midwife sometimes in charge of Mara's care in SCBU, that in regards to her milk she has a good let down reflex... Insert joke here...!
9. I must remember to delete the pregnancy apps we both downloaded as Caz gets a bit upset and frustrated every Saturday when they ping and say "You are now xx weeks pregnant, here's what to expect this week." Or "Your baby is now the size of a pineapple..."
App people, you've missed the boat a bit and maybe need to include something for premature babies!
10. Caroline and Marie went to Mass yesterday for the first time in 12 years only to discover they have changed the words!!! Akin to being at a music gig and trying to sing along to a song that came from the difficult third album you didn't bother to purchase!
On the plus side they didn't burst into flames on the way in, so that's good!
I've also set up a new Facebook page, just search for Thoughts Of A First Time Dad and give us a like! Plenty of photos and videos to be uploaded there!
All hilarity aside, I've got a more serious note to end on.
In the midst of our own lives, whether the times be good or bad, through the chaos, stresses and mundanity of life, it is shocking and humbling to discover that friends are dealing with their own difficult issues.
We recently discovered some friends and former colleagues of mine, Carol & Alan, had a difficult time with their own pregnancy last year and tragically lost one of their twin girls, Sophia, through something called TTTS (Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome.) Its not an issue I was familiar with before but offered to help them raise awareness through my blog, with their blessing.
They have set up a JustGiving page to raise funds for the hospital that cared for the family during this difficult time and it was their expertise that helped little Eloise survive.
You can read more of their story by clicking the link below and if you are able to help them out in anyway I am certain the family would be extremely grateful.
Caroline and I both know someone who has recently lost a loved one and a family friend who has health issues. It is hard, it is painful and it is part of life. So go and kiss your partner, hug your child, say thanks to your parents. And please keep those who are in difficult times in your thoughts and prayers. They are in ours.